Welcome to FODI
Friends of the Drop In for Asylum Seekers and Refugees in Sunderland
REFUGEE WEEK 2019 EVENTS JUNE 17TH – 23RD
THEME: “YOU, ME AND THOSE THAT CAME BEFORE”
- WALK OF SANCTUARY from SUNDERLAND TO NORTH SHIELDS – SUNDERLAND CITY OF SANCTUARY MONDAY JUNE 17TH meet at 9.30am Sunderland Minster
- LITTLETOWN CRICKET MATCH TUES JUNE 18TH 6PM LITTLETOWN CRICKET CLUB
- MACKIE’S CORNER AND WORKSHOP SUNDERLAND CULTURE, FODI AND SANGINI – ART SESSIONS AT MACKIE’S WORKSHOP DELIVERED BY SANGINI WEDNESDAY JUNE 19TH 10-3PM + MACKIE’S CORNER – DISPLAY ON THIS YEAR’S REFUGEE WEEK THEME ‘YOU, ME AND THOSE THAT CAME BEFORE’ DISPLAY OF HISTORIC ACCOUNTS OF REFUGEES FROM THE ARCHIVES AND STORIES OF NEW REFUGEES IN SUNDERLAND WED– FRIDAY JUNE 19-21ST 10-4PM
- FOOTBALL MINI TOURNAMENT YAV SANS STREET CENTRE -WED JUNE 19TH 6PM – 9PM
- ‘REFUGEES GOT TALENT’ FIGHTBACK CHARITY– BEDE TOWER- THURSDAY JUNE 20TH 5 -9PM EXTENDED TO INCLUDE PREVIOUS GENERATIONS OF REFUGEE PERFORMERS #GENERATION
- ‘TEA WITH A REFUGEE’ – GENTOO OFFICE ATHANEUM STREET FRIDAY JUNE 21ST 2-3.30pm
- ICOS and EVERYONE ACTIVE BACKHOUSE PARK CLEAN UP AND ACTIVITIES FOR CHILDREN SATURDAY JUNE 22ND 11-2PM BACKHOUSE PARK
- SUNDERLAND UNITES: UNITE AGAINST INTOLERANCE AND DIVISION PANEL AND DISCUSSION SATURDAY JUNE 22ND 2-4.30PM REG VARDY CENTRE, SUNDERLAND UNIVERSITY
- INTERNATIONAL FOOD GARDEN PARTY SUNDERLAND MINSTER SUNDAY 23RD 12-2pm – everyone brings food from different cultures to share
- SCHOOLS REFUGEE WEEK AWARENESS SESSIONS FODI (+SUNDERLAND MUSEUM JOURNEYS DRAWN EXHIBITION ACTIVITIES)
FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT SANDRA WATT, FRIENDS OF THE DROP-IN FOR ASYLUM SEEKERS AND REFUGEES 07525853913 firstname.lastname@example.org
Friends Of the Drop-In (FODI) officially began on 30/11/2011 when its constitution was signed.
It was the vision of a group of people who had supported the Drop-In for many years and wished to expand on the work being done there.
FODI achieved charitable status in July 2013 and our registered charity number is 1176524.
FODI has no religious affiliations. All asylum seekers and refugees are welcome.
FODI Mission Statement:
FODI aims to improve the mental health and well-being of the asylum-seeking and refugee community of Sunderland. In doing so we hope to lessen their social isolation and promote their integration into the wider community, by supporting and extending the activities of the Drop-In currently run on Wednesday afternoons.
1. To provide opportunities for the clients of the Drop-In to participate in wider societal activities of a suitable nature.
2. To foster closer links into the wider community, providing opportunities for clients to link into this.
3. To work in partnership with other local organisations/groups to further this aim.
We are very grateful to the Sir James Knott Trust and the Lloyds bank foundation who fund the running of the Drop-In and the NHS Sunderland Clinical Commissioning Group, who fund the various activities and outings we run for our members. We thank the Lloyds Foundation, the SCCG and Allen Lane for funding our Project Development Worker, to Comic Relief for our football project with Young Asian Voices and to the Hospital of God at Greatham, the Hadrian Trust, Linden Family fund and Community Foundation Durham tampon tax fund for funding our women’s group.